DMU Annual Conference 2017
Universal Design for Inclusion
Wednesday 7th June 2017
09.15 Registration and Welcome Drinks
10.00 Welcome and Introduction
Joanne Cooke, Associate Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director of Student and Academic Services
10.05 Opening Remarks
Professor Dominic Shellard, Vice-Chancellor
10.20 Keynote Speech
Bettina Rigg, Partner at Veale Wasbrorugh Vizzards specialising in Higher Education, Further Education and Employment
10. 45 Disability Enhancement Programme- Universal Design for Learning - how and why we did it and where next?
Abigail Moriarty, Director of Teaching and Learning and Phil Scarffe, Head of Welfare
12.00 UDL academic champions – Their role in the academic arena and how that supported academic engagement
Dr Jo Rushworth, Senior Lecturer in Biochemistry and DMU Teacher Fellow
12.30 DMU Replay – Where do you start? – The issues raised and how they were managed and now what next?
Ian Pettit, Enhancing Learning through Technology Project Officer
13.00 Lunch break
14.00 Workshop Session 1
1. Single Point of Access (SPA)– An innovative approach to managing students referrals
Trevor Butlin, Counsellor and Andy Brown, Mental Health Inclusion Manager
2. Now the dust has settled how does the DSA landscape look?
Ursula Bilson, Assessment Centre Manager
3. Pharmacy Project – Academic, Coaching and Student Input into programme content and outcome
Mark Evans, Counsellor and coach and Dr Nicola Ward, Senior Lecturer in Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Practice
4. Brain in Hand – How can an app help ASD students and why go University wide – what is Brain in Hand and who next after ASD students?
Leanne Herbert, Faculty Disability Officer and Lynda Smith, Transitions and Retention Officer
5. The Mandala Project – How we have supported students via this innovative new project
Lynette Williams, Executive Officer
14.45 Tea and Coffee break
15:00 Workshop Session 2
6. Learner Support Arrangements- Supporting applicants through the transition process into Higher Education
Joanna White, Faculty Disability Officer and Sarah Stirk, Faculty Disability Coordinator
7. Faith Workshop- Reaching out and Making Space for Everyone
Mohammed Laher, Imam and Muslim Chaplain and The Rev’d Hilary Surridge, Coordinating Chaplin
8. Library and Learning Services – How the principles of UDL are relevant and applicable in service delivery
Carol Keddie, Senior Assistant Librarian
9. Course Specific Intervention (CSI)- How and why we embedded study skills and workshops into the curriculum?
Helen Childs and Rachel Davies, Disability Officers
15.45 Round up of the day and any questions