Q: What are the funding opportunities at De Montfort University (DMU)?

A: There may be centrally funded bursaries available from time to time. When we do have bursaries available they are usually publicised on jobs.ac.uk.

Q: Can I study for the research degree while being based in my home country (ie outside the uk). How long do I have to spend in the UK?

A: If you are classified as an International student you can study via the International PhD route. You will be expected to receive face-to-face supervision for at least six weeks per year so would normally be expected to visit the UK for six weeks.

Q: As a part-time student, how many days am I expected to come in to the University?

A: There are no set times that you are expected to attend the University, you would agree this in consultation with your supervisory team and it would very much depend on the subject area. A part-time student is expected to carry out at least 12-hours work towards their research degree per week and to meet with their supervisory team at least once every other month.

Q: Does the University provide guidance with writing a research proposal?

A: Yes please see our ‘Guide to writing a research proposal’

Q: What documents do I need to submit with my application form?

A: You will need to include a full research proposal and two academic referees will be required. There is guidance on writing a research proposal available on the website.  International applicants will also need to include an electronic copy of your passport showing your passport number and proof of your English Language Qualification which may be in the form of an IELTS certificate.  Most students from outside the EU will need to apply for a visa to gain entry to the UK.  To find out if you need a visa to study in the UK please read here.

Q: Can I start any day of the year?

A: There are three fixed entry points each year. These are 1 October, 1 January, and 1 April. You will be expected to pay fees from the fixed entry point.  Exceptionally, you may be permitted to commence on 1st July, if the Director of the Graduate School approves.  Once you recieve an offer, the Graduate School office will contact you to arrange a time for you to enrol with us.

Q: I have a 2:2 degree, can I still apply?

A: In order to be admitted as a candidate for a research degree an applicant shall normally:

a) possess a UK Honours degree with at least an upper second class honours, or an academic or professional qualification which the Research Degrees Committee Sub-Committee deems to be equivalent; and

b) demonstrate competence in the use of the English language to the satisfaction of the Research Degrees Committee Sub-Committee.

Guidance on the equivalence of qualifications is available on our "How to Apply" web pages. Applicants without the normal qualifications outlined above will be considered for registration by the University on their merits in relation to the nature of the proposed research programme and by submission of a non-standard qualifications request by the prospective Supervisor.

Q: Would professional qualifications be considered?

A: Yes professional qualifications and/or experience can be taken into account and you would need to discuss this with your prospective supervisor.

Q: How long does the application process take from submitting my application?

A: We try to process applications as quickly as possible; they can take between 2 weeks to 1 month.  If you submit the full application documents first time, it will not normally take as long as 1 month.

Q: How can I find out about the progress of my application?

A: You will receive an email with an application number shortly after submitting the application to the Graduate School Office. You can contact the Graduate School Office for an update on the progress of your application at any time by contacting researchstudents@dmu.ac.uk.

Q: Do I need to identify a potential supervisor before applying? Would you recommend I do so?

A: Not necessarily. It may be appropriate for you to have an informal discussion with a prospective supervisor before you submit the application paperwork. This may result in you putting together a more comprehensive research proposal however it is not a requirement that you do so.  It is worth spending time finding out about our research groups and research supervisors before applying.

Q: Will I have to attend any training courses and are they compulsory?

A: Training courses are available and some are compulsory. Students are required to complete all compulsory training courses outlined in their relevant Research Training Handbook and their training attendance record.

However, students can apply for exemption from some of the compulsory training courses through completion of their Training Needs Analysis document. Further details on exemption requests can be found in section four of the Research Training Handbook.

Q: Will my English language skills be assessed further if I already meet the English entry requirements?

A: If you are a student studying in the UK at De Montfort University and English is not your first language you are required to attend an English language initial assessment session at the DMU City Campus within six months of commencing your research.

Students who have passed the necessary IELTS course are also required to attend the initial assessment. The initial assessment requires you to undertake a written and spoken test to identify your level of English to determine:

If the level of English is of a satisfactory standard for undertaking study at MPhil or PhD level, in which case you will not be required to attend any further sessions,

If the level of English requires further assistance, in which case you will be advised how many classes you must attend to attain the required level.

The course duration is highly dependent on the needs of individual students. Courses are held exclusively for research students and are targeted specifically at your needs. Please refer to the course description in section six for further information on the areas covered.

If you have been awarded the degree of MA, MSc, MBA, you will not be required to attend the English language sessions if the degree was awarded by a UK University within the five years prior to your enrolment on a DMU research degree programme.

Events target area image

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

DMU research news target area image
DMU research news

Read about our latest research efforts.