The De Montfort University Confucius Institute (DMU CI) is a vibrant celebration of Chinese language and culture for all – providing our students and the wider community with a taste of Chinese life on the DMU campus. It offers:
- Inspiring cultural activities, including Chinese tea ceremonies, calligraphy workshops, t'ai chi, music, dance and film. Activities are open to DMU staff, students and the Leicestershire community
- Formal and informal Mandarin language lessons for a range of abilities
- Interactive teaching of Chinese language and culture in Leicestershire schools
- A relaxing space where everyone is welcome to drop in between 9am-5pm
We are part of the wider #DMUglobal programme, offering everyone an on-campus international experience - great for developing vital skills relevant to today's employers.
Learning Mandarin is one of the most effective ways to discover Chinese culture while enhancing your career prospects, and the Confucius Institute at De Montfort University (DMU) offers a range of classes to students, staff and the Leicestershire public.
You will not only learn a language, but also Chinese traditions. Your teacher will encourage you to analyse beliefs, values and perspectives, which will improve your cultural awareness and allow greater interaction with Chinese communities.
You can also sit an HSK exam at the end of your course, the internationally recognised Chinese Proficiency Test.
Standard Mandarin courses
You can join Mandarin courses at the CI from beginner to advanced level. As well as learning the language, you will gain an understanding of Chinese values and perspectives. Classes are designed to improve your cultural awareness and develop interaction with Chinese communities.
We offer bespoke classes for individual and groups who have specific study requirements. The teachers will develop a course for you with relevant content, and for the length and language ability you require. The cost will vary depnding on what you choose.
You have the opportunity to learn a variety of Martial Arts, including Tai Chi, Qigong and Kung Fu, right here on the DMU campus!
Studying Tai Chi is a highly enriching and calming experience. You will learn to develop focus, self-discipline and balance, attributes that can be effectively applied to your university studies.
Students participating in the fun art form of Kung Fu will not only improve their physical health but will also improve their ability to focus and concentrate.
The DMU Confucius Institute is always enthusiastic about working with schools.
It offers a variety of packages including:
- China days - providing students with a taste of Chinese culture through Mandarin lessons, craft sessions and martial arts
- After-school clubs - take part in fun educational activities, which can either run continuously or for a set number of sessions
- Mandarin lessons - prepare for GCSE Mandarin, which has recently been introduced to the curriculum
It is always willing to discuss alternative packages:
- Activities can be organised around your needs and we will always try our best to accommodate you
- Activities can be conducted at the institute, on the DMU campus, or we can travel to you with our teachers and equipment.
- There is a small charge for school activities, based on the package
Contact the Confucius Institute
De Montfort University
Room 1.15, Vijay Patel Building
Leicester LE2 7BJ
T: 0116 257 7061