Adult Venous Cannulation
This 1 day course is designed to provide the skill of adult venous cannulation to registered and non-registered health care workers.
The course includes theoretical components, practical demonstrations, practice for delegates and a final assessment at the end of the day.
Courses can also be tailored to customer needs and can include paediatric cannulation if required, please contact the DMU Health Skills team for further information.
Structure and content
The course will include:
- Relevant anatomy & physiology
- Infection control procedures pertinent to cannulation
- Vein selection
- Taking blood samples through the cannulae (monovette and vacutainer systems)
- Potential complications during and after cannulation
- Demonstration of the clinical skill
- Supervised, simulated practice
- End of the day assessment of the skill by clinical skills trainer.
Who the course is for
The course can be tailored for any individual or company who are required, as part of their job role to insert venous cannulae.
Our experts have been providing cannulation training for over 20 years and we have a number of qualified academics who lead these sessions. Some of our lecturers are still working clinically also.
This course can be tailored to suit individual customer needs. The course can be delivered at De Montfort University in our specialised clinical laboratory or the course can be delivered in-house at a venue of your choice.
Please contact DMU Health Skills for an individual or cohort price. This will ensure we offer a tailored price for your organisation.