Learning and teaching at DMU
A De Montfort University (DMU) degree is a degree for life. We aim to equip all students, whatever their level and mode of study, with the knowledge required for successful transition to their next stage.
A DMU education will answer the imperatives of the twenty-first century and produce agile, creative, thoughtful and resilient graduates, capable of meeting challenges with versatility, and eager to apply their knowledge for the good of all.
Our strategy comprises three pillars, listed below. Each contributes to an overarching emphasis on engaging students and staff to work together to construct and maintain an education that equips graduates to fulfil their ambitions and allows their teachers to be responsive, creative, and flexible.
DMU regards its students as co-creators in learning and teaching. We will seek to develop curricula that respond to student needs and employer expectations, through conversationand consultation. Ours is a scholarly community, enriched by its inclusive, responsive and partnership-based learning environment. Students will be co-producers of knowledge.
We aim to:
- Facilitate the dynamic co-creation of learning opportunities and development of academic disciplines
- Enhance curriculum design and delivery to challenge, inspire and engage,
- Deliver university-wide relevant and supportive mentoring and peer mentoring
- Embed employability and enterprise throughout students’ courses of study
DMU understands that each student enters university with different levels of readiness and prior attainment. We will provide an education that recognizes this variety of student need and equips academic staff to meet it. We will support students and their teachers with the tools necessary for a successful learning and teaching experience.
We aim to:
- Embed teaching excellence into staff recruitment, staff development, appraisal, reward and recognition
- Enrich programme design and delivery targeted learner support interventions through pedagogic innovation and scholarship
- Develop a digital capabilities framework to ensure that students and staff gain and enhance essential skills and the confidence required to use them fluently
- Provide an effective and innovative learning environment
Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
UDL is DMU’s flagship approach to making learning accessible to all, regardless of circumstance. We will provide all students with the opportunity to succeed and develop according to its principles. Students will hone their strengths while successfully meeting new challenges with the prospect of achieving to the highest level, irrespective of prior qualifications, individual learning styles, and differences such as ethnicity, age, gender and disability status.
We aim to:
- Encourage all students to explore the importance of their personal growth while at DMU
- Recognise students’ differing approaches to the assimilation and synthesis of information
- Provide effective personal tutoring that supports individual progression and academic growth
Download the full University Learning, Teaching and Assessment Strategy.